Invisalign or clear aligners are a great alternative to traditional braces. It is used to straighten crooked or crowded teeth, as well as close gaps and adjust overbites. The entire Invisalign treatment involves wearing those clear, plastic trays that are custom-made for your mouth, making Invisalign a less-noticeable alternative to metal braces.
To obtain optimal results, the dentist would recommend that you wear the aligners for more than 20 hours a day throughout your entire treatment, switching to a new set of aligners approximately every fortnightly until you’ve reached the desired results.
Treatment begins with taking an x-ray, photographs, digital or direct impressions of the person’s teeth and gums. Your dentist/orthodontist would then complete a written evaluation that includes both the diagnosis and treatment plan. Dental impressions are scanned. This is to replicate a digital 3D representation of the teeth by the company.
Braces consist of metal brackets. These brackets are boned on to your teeth using wires and tiny rubber bands so they are tied together . Today, you can get brackets to mimic your enamel color (making them far more discrete) or there are lingual brackets available.
Pros about Invisalign:
1) Aligner trays made of very comfortable, BPA-free and smooth, transparent plastics. Brackets can cut the mucosa and gums and many patients have difficulty with brackets.
2) They are more cosmetically pleasing and patients do not have to show the metal brackets.
3) Patients can brush and floss the teeth and keep the teeth clean. It is much more difficult to floss and brush teeth with brackets bonded on the teeth.
4) Patients are less likely to develop cavities; however, patients still must be vigilant about professional cleaning and checkups.
Cons about Invisalign:
1) Aligner is not always applicable to treat orthodontic problems. They are less predictable in more advanced cases and they cannot replace severe dental-skeletal orthodontic problems.
2) Must remove before consuming or drinking anything but plain water. Patients can develop rampant decay if they drink sugary drinks with aligners on. (Personally, I have observed this in my patients when they are not careful.)
3) Relaps may be more common.
Invisalign or clear aligners are great option for treating misaligned teeth. However, they do have limitations. But for many well selected cases, the results are fantastic. Patients, however, must have more dental checkups and more frequent professional cleaning to prevent plaque buildup and staining. For further information, please contact our office and hope this article helps many to figure out their options.